Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Central Air vs. Wall Unit

My central heating and air unit conked out around April this year, just in time for the stinkin' hot Spring and Summer season in the Middle Tennessee Valley. So I call in my A/C guys from Hiller and they were just power-selling me on getting a new central air unit, sending in three guys at once to grill me at the kitchen table, one salesman and two tech guys it seems. Just a hair over $8,000 they told me. When I balked at the price, they happily told me I could get a loan for this. An $8,000 loan? Oh boy, where do I sign up? These guys must think I'm as dumb as my biceps are big.

Well, I bought my first house to make money, not to end up in the poorhouse, so I told them thanks, but no-thanks and promptly went out to Lowes and picked up the second biggest wall air conditioning unit that Frigidaire makes, for around $430.00. I then installed it into the downstairs window, hidden behind the squat rack.

Frigidaire Model #FFRE15l3Q1  
 Well let me tell you, after a month, I could not be happier with this unit. Blowing gales of cool, dry air, it cools the entire downstairs, around 850 square feet with 9ft high ceilings and even cools the upstairs a little bit, although I have to help things along with a few floor and ceiling fans.

Better yet, utility bills are about 1/4 of what they were, despite it being way hotter and humid outside than back in March, and the unit runs half the day, at least, with the rest of the time on "Eco" setting.....

Huge electric bill, March 2014

June's tiny electric bill, minus that cash cow scam- central air







No comments: