Thursday, December 8, 2011

In Your Face-Book

It seems like Facebook is one giant pissing-contest and that about sums it up.

When Facebook first came out I joined immediately, always being an early adopter as far as new technology is concerned, as long as it doesn't involve any major expenditures. I thought that it might be good for my little internet business ventures that usually needed all the help they could get to generate any money or, at least, profits. Before too long, I picked up the majority of my class it seems from my high school days onto my "friends" list.

It's pretty amazing that I was found, because I usually go out of my way to stay out of touch with childhood friends, due to a very disappointing career, or lack thereof. I think I maybe signed up one "friend" from my high school town, and they must have had everybody from that time period on their list and it just got me connected. Now my high school crowd is the last group I ever expected to hear from again, that's for sure. I mean the majority of these people had had normal lives, stayed in their hometown, married and had kids, had decent jobs and careers-the whole nine yards.

Myself on the other hand, have lived a strange life, with no permanent address, poor career choices and decisions, resulting in my missing out on a lot of the good things that small town life has to offer. So my Facebooking with my entire high school is a constant reminder of this, which is no fun at all.

I was lucky to graduate from high school-barely, spending the majority of my energies in wrestling and being worn out all the time from excessive weight-loss and brutal after-school practices five months of the school year. All I managed to do was stunt my physical growth and kill my GPA.

What a stupid waste of time it was, seriously. I still have Mr. Beckman to thank, the accounting teacher who gave me the gift of a passing grade, for my graduating from high school. I know I could ace that course now, but that was then. I was awkward and shy the majority of my school years anyway. I actually hated school and was hugely relieved to be done with it.

I eventually lost touch with everybody from the class of '78 for 3 decades or so, after my parents sealed my fate by moving far away from my old neighborhood while I was away at college. We didn't have the technology of the internet to make arrangements to stay in touch at that particular period in time, so if you didn't live near everyone, you were pretty much permanently out of the picture.

Hooking back up with everybody from high school 3 decades later, even if only virtually, was the last thing I ever expected to happen. I think it would have been a really good thing if I had more to show for my time away, but it's kind of embarrassing the way it stands.

So here I am back in with all my high school people and it's getting weird now, after the initial novelty has worn off, because they all have kids and they're always putting pictures up of Suzie at the prom or whatever, but when I post pictures of my brother's kids or anything fun or interesting, they're kind of ignoring it. I don't know if they're jealous or what....it's apparently a huge pissing contest.

Anyways I was thinking of signing up for another Facebook page, under a different name, and try to start over with people from my more recent life history, while still keeping the other one active, just to not offend all my old friends by disappearing into the web-osphere. I'm currently trying to plan it properly and come up with a name.....

No comments: